Posted: Fri 10th Apr 2015

Jobs Growth Wales is NOT being scrapped says Minister.

News and Info from Deeside, Flintshire, North Wales
This article is old - Published: Friday, Apr 10th, 2015

Deputy Minister for Skills, Julie James has dismissed any question of the Welsh Government’s flagship Jobs Growth Wales programme being scrapped, and has confirmed the successor programme will be in place by next month. ‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​

The Minster’s response came after the Careers Wales website confirmed no further jobs were being advertised as the programme has now closed ‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​

A short on the website said: ‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​

“Thank you for your interest in the Jobs Growth Wales Programme, there will be no further jobs advertised as the programme has now closed. But there will be an exciting new programme, it’s currently in development, so please check back soon for updates.” – Careers Wales ‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​

The Welsh youth job creation scheme hailed by Labour- has temporarily closed while Minsters in Cardiff await approval for a new scheme from the EU. ‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​

[pullquote cite=”Jobs Growth Wales” type=”right”] ‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​

  • Jobs Growth Wales programme was launched in 2012 with a target of creating and filling 12,000 jobs. 
  • Programme exceeded its targets in every year of operation
  • It has now helped almost 15,000 young people aged 16 – 24 into a job opportunity. 
  • 8 out of 10 of the jobs created by Jobs Growth Wales have been created in the Private Sector.[/pullquote]

The Welsh government has said placements would continue despite the scheme’s budget being slashed last year. ‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​

Deputy Minister for Skills has also reassured young people already accepted onto the scheme that their sixth month placements will not be affected by the current transition period and that they will continue to receive full Welsh Government support. ‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​

Julie James AM said: ‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​

“Contrary to reports in the media today, there is absolutely no question of our flagship Jobs Growth Wales programme being scrapped.
“Jobs Growth Wales has been hugely successful, resulting in almost 15,000 young people finding a meaningful job opportunity.
“One of the reasons we have been able to invest so much in the Jobs Growth Wales programme is because it is partly funded by the European union and as such is delivered as a project with a planned start and end date
“The current EU funded project came to its planned end date on 31st March for new entrants only and we are now in a transition phase.
“ We will launch the successor programme next month and I look forward to helping many more young people from across Wales to find meaningful and sustainable employment with the help of Jobs Growth Wales.” ‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​

The Welsh Government is currently working with WEFO to progress an application for additional funds for the successor Jobs Growth Wales project under the new European programmes. ‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​


Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email: News@Deeside.com

Latest News

  • Facemasks no longer required in north Wales hospitals
  • Flintshire and Wrexham tourism leaders make a stand against proposed Welsh visitor levy
  • Police continue to tackle antisocial behaviour issues in Ewloe

  • More...

    Facemasks no longer required in north Wales hospitals

    News

    Flintshire and Wrexham tourism leaders make a stand against proposed Welsh visitor levy

    News

    Police continue to tackle antisocial behaviour issues in Ewloe

    News

    Police Dog Bryn sniffs out substantial quantity of drugs during Connah’s Quay raid

    News

    ‘Coming in fast and hot” – Bank of Dave drops into Hawarden Airport after helicopter runs short of fuel

    News

    State-of-the-art Health and Education Innovation Quarter officially opened at Wrexham Glyndwr University

    News