Interpol issues global warning over dangerous diet pills which claimed life of Glyndwr University student
INTERPOL has issued a global alert over diet pills that are believed to be responsible for the death of Eloise Parry, a 21-year-old Glyndwr University student.
Eloise tragically died on 12 April at the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital after taking the pills and falling ill, its believed the pills are also responsible for leaving a French man seriously ill prompting the global warning from INTERPOL.
An Orange Notice has now been issued by Interpol, at the request of French health authorities, declaring an “imminent threat” to consumers from DNP, a chemical also used in explosives.
Although usually sold in yellow powder or capsule form, DNP is also available as a cream, besides the obvious dangers of DNP, the risks associated with its use are magnified by illegal manufacturing conditions.
The drug is often produced in clandestine laboratories with no hygiene regulations, without specialist manufacturing knowledge the producers also expose consumers to an increased chance of overdose.
INTERPOL collaborated with the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) and received additional information from the global anti-doping organization after one of the WADA-accredited laboratories received a sample of the drug following a seizure in Australia.
“We are appreciative that INTERPOL has issued this global warning on DNP. This is a perfect example of how crucial it is that law enforcement and anti-doping organizations continue to forge closer ties so that dangerous, and potentially fatal, substances such as DNP do not reach the hands of athletes,” said WADA Director General, David Howman.
Following the death of Eloise Parry West Mercia Police issued a warning to others of the dangers of buying substances online.
Chief Inspector Jennifer Mattinson said:
“We are undoubtedly concerned over the origin and sale of these pills and are working with partner agencies to establish where they were bought from and how they were advertised.
“The coroner’s report will establish the exact cause of Eloise’s death but we urge the public to be incredibly careful when purchasing medicine or supplements over the internet.
“Substances from unregistered websites could put your health at risk as they could be extremely harmful, out-of-date or fake.
A tribute to Eloise Aimee Parry, written by her mother Fiona Parry.
Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email: News@Deeside.com