Posted: Fri 15th Jun 2018

Fire Service warning after two dogs die in North Wales house fire

News and Info from Deeside, Flintshire, North Wales
This article is old - Published: Friday, Jun 15th, 2018

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service has issued an appeal to householders to avoid running white goods such as dishwashers, washing machines and tumble dryers when not at home.

It follows a dishwasher fire at Llanfair Talhaiarn, near Abergele in which two dogs sadly died.

Crews from Colwyn Bay, Abergele and Rhyl were called to the property at Llanfair Talhaiarn, near Abergele just before 3pm yesterday, Thursday June 14th.

Firefighters used two hose reels, one main jet, ten sets of breathing apparatus, a thermal imaging camera and small tools to tackle the fire.

The fire caused 70% fire and 100% heat and smoke damage to the property, the fire is thought to have been caused by a fault in the dishwasher, a fire service spokesperson said.

Jane Honey, Deputy Head of Community Safety for North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said:

“This sad incident highlights the importance of avoiding running appliances such as dishwashers, washing machines and tumble dryers when not at home or when in bed.

If appliances are run when not at home or you are in bed, this can enable a fire to develop without being detected.

This property did have working smoke alarms, however due to its remote location and the time of day, with the residents being out of the property, the fire developed substantially before the emergency services were called.

This meant that the building was considerably smoke logged and severe damage was caused to the property.

We advise only running white goods appliances when you are around and able to keep an eye on them.”

Jane Honey added:

“Also, in general we often in electrical fires we encounter items which are subject to recall but are still being used by residents.

We would appeal to all residents to ensure that their electrical items are in good working order, and to log on to the recall register to check on the appliances in their home.

The majority of products in your home will be safe but you should regularly check to ensure none of your household appliances are subject to a recall.”

More advice from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service.

To check items under recall visit www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk

If you are concerned about a product that doesn’t appear on the recall list, stop using it immediately and make your concern known to the retailer, manufacturer or local Trading Standards office.

Always ensure new electrical items are registered, so manufacturers can contact you in the event of any problems. Go to www.registermyappliance.org.uk for more information and to register your electric products.

Also, electrical appliances need to be operated to manufacturer’s instructions, and residents should take simple steps to cut the risk of an electrical fire – don’t overload plug sockets, regularly check for worn or frayed wires, unplug appliances when not in use, keep appliances clean and in good working order and fully unwind extension cables prior to their use.

Our advice is to be as prepared as possible in the event of fire, by ensuring that working smoke alarms are fitted in your home and that you have clear escape routes to enable you and your family to exit your home as quickly as possible.”

[📸twitter.com/DaleyFireFotos]

 

Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email: News@Deeside.com

Public Notice Advert

CQLCP

Latest News

  • 250 nurses and doctors from Kerala to join NHS Wales as part of new agreement
  • Space Enterprise Lab opens at Wrexham University’s OpTIC Technology Centre
  • River Dee bathing water bid falls short after criteria change mid-consultation

  • More...

    250 nurses and doctors from Kerala to join NHS Wales as part of new agreement

    News

    Space Enterprise Lab opens at Wrexham University’s OpTIC Technology Centre

    News

    River Dee bathing water bid falls short after criteria change mid-consultation

    News

    Boss of Deeside based Iceland celebrates baby formula campaign milestone

    News

    Biggest ever crackdown on money mules in the UK

    News

    Education union opens preliminary ballot over pay, funding and school year in Wales

    News

    Storyhouse unveils this yearsGrosvenor Park open air theatre line-up

    News

    Wrexham Football Club hosts men’s suicide and self harm prevention workshop

    News

    Wrong to scrap ‘lifeline’ free meals in holidays for ‘youngest and most vulnerable in Wales’ says Plaid

    News