Posted: Tue 25th Apr 2017

Smoke alarm warning after family ‘lucky to have escaped with their lives’

News and Info from Deeside, Flintshire, North Wales
This article is old - Published: Tuesday, Apr 25th, 2017

Officers from North Wales Fire Service say a family were extremely lucky to have escaped with their lives after a fire ripped through their home in Eryrys near Mold.

Crews from Mold, Ruthin and Buckley were called to the property just after 4.45am this morning after a fire broke out in a conservatory.

A couple and their adult daughter were in the property at the time of the fire.

The mother went down stairs and was faced with a fire in the conservatory, she alerted her family before escaping from a downstairs window.

The father and daughter were upstairs and were given fire survival advice by fire and rescue control staff before being helped from their home by firefighters.

All three were taken to the hospital for precautionary checks.

A dog was also rescued from the property.

The fire is thought to have been started by an electrical fault.

There were no working smoke alarms fitted in the property.

Jane Honey from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said:

Smoke alarms give an early warning which allow you the opportunity to escape as quickly as possible from a fire in your home.

This family were extremely lucky to have escaped with their lives.

Please ensure that you have working smoke alarms fitted on every floor of your home and test them weekly.

Also, it’s important to know what to do in the event of a fire and have a well-practised escape route.

Fortunately control operators were able to give advice at this incident to help the residents who were upstairs in the property stay as safe as possible until the arrival of fire and rescue crews.

This fire highlights the danger of electrical fires – they can strike anytime, anywhere.

Our advice is to be as prepared as possible in the event of fire, by ensuring that working smoke alarms are fitted in your home and that you have clear escape routes to enable you and your family to exit your home as quickly as possible.

More fire safety advice – nwales-fireservice.org

Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email: News@Deeside.com

Public Notice Advert

CQLCP

Latest News

  • North Wales Police: Greenfield residents called to action in drug fight
  • Wales’ diminished role in UK-EU relations post-Brexit: MSs warn of lack of democratic debate
  • Only 10 days left to claim pension credit for pensioners in Wales and secure £299 Cost of Living boost

  • More...

    North Wales Police: Greenfield residents called to action in drug fight

    News

    Wales’ diminished role in UK-EU relations post-Brexit: MSs warn of lack of democratic debate

    News

    Only 10 days left to claim pension credit for pensioners in Wales and secure £299 Cost of Living boost

    News

    Welsh Government helping to make children veg chomp-ions

    News

    Senedd: Betsi ‘nowhere close to seeing the improvements that we should be seeing after a year in special measures’

    News

    Greek mythology drama comes to Theatr Clwyd in Beautiful Evil Things

    News

    CCTV appeal after Saltney tyre slashings

    News

    Welsh Government faces criticism for failing to deliver real living wage promise

    News

    University of Chester experts fill in blank space in discussion on Taylor Swift’s accent shifts

    News