Posted: Tue 20th Nov 2018

Dangers of electrical fires highlighted after woman dies following a house fire near Wrexham

News and Info from Deeside, Flintshire, North Wales
This article is old - Published: Tuesday, Nov 20th, 2018

The dangers of electrical fires are being highlighted after a fire at a property in Acrefair, near Wrexham at the weekend where a woman sadly died.

This warning coincides with Electrical Fire Safety Week (19-25th November), where the three fire and rescue services in Wales have joined together to promote a new campaign focussed on electrical household appliance safety.

Crews from Johnstown and Wrexham were called to a fire at a house at Gwynant, Acrefair at 12:52am on Sunday November 18th.

Firefighters used four sets of breathing apparatus and two hosereel jets to tackle the fire, which caused fire damage to 30% of the kitchen, severe heat damage to the remainder of the kitchen and 100% smoke damage throughout the property.

Two casualties, a man and a woman were taken to the Wrexham Maelor hospital, where the woman sadly later passed away.

The cause of the fire is thought to be an electrical issue in or close to the fridge.

Justin Evans, head of community safety for North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said: “My condolences and deepest sympathies go to the family and friends of those involved in this tragic incident.

“This fire clearly shows the danger of electrical fires – they can strike anytime, anywhere.

“Just yesterday we launched our new campaign highlighting the importance of the safe use of white goods appliances as part of Electrical Safety Week.

“Our advice is to be as prepared as possible in the event of fire, by ensuring that working smoke alarms are fitted on every floor of your home and that you have clear escape routes to enable you and your family to exit your home as quickly as possible.”

“There are some simple steps you can take to help prevent an electrical fire in your home. They include:

– DON’T Overload plug sockets
– DO Regularly check for worn or frayed wires
– DO Unplug appliances when not in use
– DO Keep appliances clean and in good working order

– DO Fully unwind extension cables prior to their use.

– DO Follow the manufacturer’s instructions on the use and maintenance of appliances. Register appliances at, which will enable manufacturers to contact you if any faults become apparent, or if any recall notices are issued.

Further information from manufacturers on defects, or appliances that have been recalled, can also be found on the Electrical Safety First website

“Find out more about our new White Goods safety campaign and try out our ‘ampage’ calculator on our website and facebook page – visit for more information.”

Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email:
Latest News

  • Flintshire Council strikes “short-term” deal with Aura for running of county’s leisure and library services
  • Burglary alert: Tools worth thousands stolen from containers in Deeside
  • Jail term for man who stalked Chester MP

  • More...

    Flintshire Council strikes “short-term” deal with Aura for running of county’s leisure and library services


    Burglary alert: Tools worth thousands stolen from containers in Deeside


    Jail term for man who stalked Chester MP


    Busy 24 hours for North Flintshire Police with six arrested for various offences


    Appeal launched after Connah’s Quay flat development next to pub denied


    Appeal launched after man ‘sustains life-changing injuries’ following electric bike collision


    Plans for 90 new homes in New Brighton approved despite fears for schoolchildren’s walking safety


    Chester Racecourse teams up with Deva Fest for Roman Day in partnership


    Vital funding to support Welsh hospices