Chester hair salon owner ordered to pay more than £7000 after failing to comply with fire regulations
The owner of a business in Chester city centre has been ordered to pay more than £7,000 after putting lives at risk by failing to comply with fire regulations.
Mehmet Zahir Adibelli, owner of Trinettes Hair Professionals (Chester), appeared at Warrington Magistrates’ Court on Monday 1 February after previously pleading guilty to nine breaches of the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.
At the sentencing hearing Judge Sanders stated that ‘Adibelli had failed to set their mind towards Fire Safety and didn’t appreciate that these significant risks could have resulted in serious injuries or death.’
Judge Sanders ordered Adibelli to pay £2,250 fines (£250 for each breach), £5,000 costs and £190 victims surcharge.
The investigation into the business began after firefighters were called out to a water leak at a coffee shop below the hair salon on Wednesday 19 June 2019.
While in attendance firefighters needed to access the salon to investigate the source of the leak.
After entering the two-storey salon on Chester Rows in Bridge Street crews discovered that it was being used as sleeping accommodation.
Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service’s Protection team was informed and a fire safety inspection was subsequently conducted at the site.
During the inspection the team found a number of serious fire safety deficiencies, which were putting the lives of customers and staff at risk.
These included the absence of fire detectors throughout the premises.
The team also found that the fire extinguishers in the salon had not been serviced since 2012 and no fire risk assessments had been conducted at the premises to place to help reduce the chances of a fire occurring.
Following the sentencing, Station Manager Stewart Martindale, of Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service’s Protection Department, said: “The safety of people visiting and sleeping in all premises such as this is of paramount importance.
“It was clear from the outset of our investigation that the owner of Trinettes Hair Professionals (Chester) had shown no regard for fire safety regulations and as a result they were putting the lives of their customers and staff at risk.
“This included the absence of even the very basic fire protection tools, such as in date fire extinguishers, and the lack of any working fire detectors and alarms.
“We also found that there were no records of any electrical maintenance or PAT testing having been carried out on any of the equipment at the salon.
“In addition, despite being a commercial building, the first floor of the premises was also being used as living accommodation, with no means of escape in the event of fire.
“Thankfully, following our inspection, we were able to take immediate action against the business and remedy the unacceptable safety flaws that we uncovered.
“I hope that today’s sentencing will act as a warning to any other businesses that do not consider fire safety to be a priority.”
Lee Shears, head of the protection department, added: “We encourage all business owners to review their fire risk assessments on a regular basis and ensure adequate fire safety precautions are in place.
“This premises is part of the historic Rows of Chester and its of vital importance that fire safety is taken seriously to protect people using these buildings but also the irreplaceable historic buildings”
“Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service aims to help and support any business to operate safely and to protect heritage buildings form fire.
“However, action will be taken when companies choose not to treat fire safety as a legitimate and important business requirement.
“All companies are urged to take their fire safety obligations seriously to avoid prosecution.”
Anyone who has concerns about fire safety should contact Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service. More information can be found on the business safety section of the service’s website, www.cheshirefire.gov.uk . Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email: News@Deeside.com