Posted: Thu 15th Aug 2019

Fire service warning over phone chargers following blaze in Rhyl

News and Info from Deeside, Flintshire, North Wales
This article is old - Published: Thursday, Aug 15th, 2019

Fire Officers are warning residents of the dangers of electrical fires following a fire involving a phone charger in Rhyl on Wednesday night.

Firefighters from were called to a fire in the living room of a property in Crescent Road, Rhyl just before midnight.

The fire was caused by electrical overheating of a phone charger which resulted in 20% fire damage to the living room as well as smoke damage to the kitchen and living room.

Kevin Jones, Community Safety Manager for Conwy and Denbighshire, said: “This incident highlights the dangers of electrical fires – they can strike anytime, anywhere.

“Phone chargers can get really hot – never leave items on charge or unattended for long periods and ensure the plug to the charger is switched off even if it’s not connected to your phone or electrical item.

“Never mix and match chargers or use aftermarket chargers – always use the charger supplied.

“Always follow the manufacturers’ instructions and guidance when using electrical items and turn off and unplug them before you go to bed.

“Our advice is to be as prepared as possible in the event of fire, by ensuring that working smoke alarms are fitted in your home and that you have clear escape routes to enable you and your family to exit your home as quickly as possible.

“There are some simple steps you can take to help prevent an electrical fire in your home. They include:

  • DON’T overload plug sockets
  • DO Regularly check for worn or frayed wires
  • DO Unplug appliances when not in use
  • DO Keep appliances clean and in good working order
  • DO fully unwind extension cables prior to their use.

“Why not try out our ‘ampage’ calculator on our website and facebook page –a visit www.nwales-fireservice.org.uk  – it tells you if you are overloading your sockets and helps you to stay electrically safe.”

Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email: [email protected]
Latest News

  • Holywell students excited to be shortlisted for Yr Wyddfa eco competition
  • Childline expects summer surge in body image concerns
  • M56: Drivers thanked as airport route resurfacing is completed

  • More...

    Holywell students excited to be shortlisted for Yr Wyddfa eco competition

    News

    Childline expects summer surge in body image concerns

    News

    M56: Drivers thanked as airport route resurfacing is completed

    News

    Broughton Shopping Park hosts events to boost love of reading

    News

    Hawarden: 10 writers shortlisted for prestigious Gladstone’s Library residency award

    News

    Plans to devolve highway funding to local authorities welcomed by North Wales MS

    News

    Plaid Cymru MS calls for Blue Badge overhaul

    News

    Flintshire Council: Fee exemption for domestic abuse victims welcomed

    News

    Mold: Mayor’s charity fundraising reaches new heights with Welsh 3000s Challenge

    News