Two candle fires in Flintshire overnight spark warning from firefighters
Candle safety is being highlighted again following two fires involving candles left unattended in the early hours of this morning.
Crews from Mold and Buckley were called to a property on Glyndwr Road, Gwernymynydd at 01.45 this morning – Monday December 14 to reports of a fire in a living room of the property. A candle left unattended had heated the PVC of a windowsill – the fire caused 100% fire damage to the windowsill and 10% smoke damage to the living room.
A candle left unattended had heated the PVC of a windowsill – the fire caused 100% fire damage to the windowsill and 10% smoke damage to the living room.
Firefighters from Holywell and Flint were called to a property on Greenacre Drive, Bagillt at 05.32 to a candle which had been left unattended too close to a settee. The candle ignited the settee, cushions and carpet and caused fire damage to these items and 5% smoke damage to the living room.
The candle ignited the settee, cushions and carpet and caused fire damage to these items and 5% smoke damage to the living room.
Paul Scott, Community Safety Manager for Wrexham and Flintshire, said: “People tend to use candles more during the winter months and especially over the Christmas period. Candles can be used in a number of different ways such as a source of light, heat or just
“People tend to use candles more during the winter months and especially over the Christmas period. Candles can be used in a number of different ways such as a source of light, heat or just decoration but it is important that people are aware of the dangers candles can pose.
“We advise people to use the battery operated tea light, which can be purchased for a small cost and are battery operated instead of requiring a flame. These electronic candles are just as effective at creating an atmosphere but are much safer than a candle.”
It is vitally important that residents follow the safety advice below when using candles:
– Never leave a candle unattended and remember to extinguish it before you go to sleep
– Make sure the candle is standing up straight and is fixed firmly so it can’t fall over – scented candles turn to liquid so always burn them in a suitable glass or metal container that can withstand heat and that the liquid can’t leak from
– Always place candles on a heat resistant surface
– Keep candles out of draughts, curtains and sources of direct heat or sunlight
– Always leave at least 10cm between candles and never place them under shelves or other surfaces
– Extinguish candles before they burn the holder
– Burn all candles well out of reach of children
– Always put candles out before you move them
– Always fit a smoke alarm to your property but consider an extra smoke alarm in rooms where candles are burnt regularly
– Don’t lean across candles
– Outdoor candles should never be used indoors
– Don’t play with candles by putting anything else into the hot wax.
For a free home safety check and advice on fire safety in your home, please call North Wales Fire and Rescue Service’s free 24 hour hotline on 0800 169 1234 or visit www.nwales-fireservice.org.uk or text 88365, ensuring you prefix your message with the word HFSC.Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email: News@Deeside.com
Public Notice Advert