Posted: Wed 26th Oct 2016

Police concerns after empty Nitrous Oxide canisters found in Ewloe

News and Info from Deeside, Flintshire, North Wales
This article is old - Published: Wednesday, Oct 26th, 2016

Police have issued a warning after boxes of empty Nitrous Oxide canisters were found in Ewloe on Tuesday.

Officers believe the empty canisters were dumped by youngsters after the contents were used to inflate balloons then inhaled.

Nitrous oxide, nicknamed ‘laughing gas’ is depressant-type drug, which means it slows down the brain and body’s responses.

The effects of nitrous oxide vary depending on how much has been inhaled but they include:

• Feelings of euphoria, relaxation and calmness.
• Dizziness, difficulty in thinking straight and fits of giggles/laughter.

A Facebook post on the South Flintshire Police page said;

“A concerning find in Ewloe today, these Nitrous Oxide canisters were found in the Ewloe area, they are used to inhale the Nitrous Oxide using a balloon.

“From where these items where found we believe that the people responsible are young people and its a worrying situation as these have devastating consequences which included blackouts, brain damage and heart attacks which have lead to deaths.”

“Please don’t let this happen to your children.”

It is against the law to sell canisters of the gas for recreational’ purposes, it is designed for use in the catering industry to dispense whipped cream.

FRANK the drugs advice website states:

Nitrous oxide can cause dizziness or affect your judgement, which might make you act carelessly or dangerously and put you at risk of hurting yourself, particularly in an unsafe environment.

Other risks include:

Unconsciousness or death from lack of oxygen. This occurs when the available oxygen for breathing is effectively pushed out by the nitrous oxide. The risk is greater if the gas is consumed in an enclosed space or if a plastic bag is used that covers both nose and mouth.

It can be hard to judge the amount to use safely. If you have too much you can end up fainting, having an accident or much worse.

 

 


 

[graphiq id=”gXHduHwoxYV” title=”Nitrous oxide” width=”700″ height=”748″ url=”https://w.graphiq.com/w/gXHduHwoxYV” link=”https://www.graphiq.com” link_text=”Visualization by Graphiq” ]

 

Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email: [email protected]
Latest News

  • Flintshire trailer theft suspects arrested in Lancashire
  • Joint police operation nets three drug arrests in Shotton
  • RSPCA Cymru calls on public to help save wildlife from hazardous nets

  • More...

    Flintshire trailer theft suspects arrested in Lancashire

    News

    Joint police operation nets three drug arrests in Shotton

    News

    RSPCA Cymru calls on public to help save wildlife from hazardous nets

    News

    Over 60 volunteers unite for Mold Spring Clean, collecting more than 100 bags of waste

    News

    Restaurant group and enterprise hub serve-up 900+ food parcels for children in North Wales

    News

    Chester Racecourse Gears up for ‘The Friday Social’ with exciting seven-race lineup

    News

    Queensferry: Police seize BMW after occupants attempted to steal grilles from another car

    News

    Cheshire and North Wales police dog unit mourn loss of legendary ‘thief catcher’ RPD Fiona

    News

    Disabled people face ‘David and Goliath’ battle for support under Wales’ health and social care system

    News