Posted: Thu 29th Aug 2013

Parvovirus Notices In Connah`s Quay- Up To 20 Dogs have Died Suggests 1 Report.

News and Info from Deeside, Flintshire, North Wales
This article is old - Published: Thursday, Aug 29th, 2013

We have had a picture sent to us of a sign posted on the door of Connah`s Quay swimming baths, the sign warns dog owners about the highly contagious Parvo virus a disease that effects dogs, and in many cases kills them.


There has been no notice on Flintshire County Councils website (wouldn’t be standard practice) regarding any outbreak of the virus, however we are still trying to verify who placed the sign (above) on the main doors of the swimming baths.

The sign goes into detail about possible symptoms which is worth reading for any dog owner.

Searching the internet and social media there’s only one tweet we can find relative to any outbreak sent on 16th August.

We have also seen a widely shared post (900+ shares) on North Clwyd Animal Rescue`s  Facebook “group” page referring to an outbreak in Wepre park and the wider Connah`s Quay area.


Update: The Daily Post are now reporting on the story:

Veterinary surgeon Joe Higgins, who works at The Quay vets in High Street, says getting pet owners to vaccinate their dogs and puppies against the virus is vital.

“There has been outbreak over the last four weeks”, confirmed the 24-year-old. “We’ve seen a drastic increase in cases.

“It can be deadly – it’s a horrendous disease. The most common sign is haemorrhaging diarrhoea.

“Dogs will be really ill, really flat and it also has a characteristic smell. It’s spread by the faeces.

“The moral of the story is get your dog vaccinated. If you see a case of it you would make sure you got your dog vaccinated – it’s one of the nastiest diseases they can get.

“There is a chance that even when you treat it a dog will not survive. It’s extremely important that you get your dog vaccinated.”

A local dog walker has put a notice up outside Connah’s Quay swimming baths warning fellow pet owners about the outbreak.

The notice says parvovirus is active in the Chapel Street, off Mold Road, and Wepre Park areas.

However, Joe says dog owners shouldn’t be put off from taking their dogs to the beauty spot.

“If your dog is vaccinated you’ll be OK”, he explained. “The key thing is to get your puppies vaccinated and if you’re unsure of the last time your dog was vaccinated then bring them in and we’ll start the course again.”




Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email:


Deer spotted running through Shotton this morning


Flintshire school children to compete for a trip of a lifetime to Las Vegas at NFL Flag National Championship


Free swimming in Wales for the Armed Forces to continue


Mold based P&A Group expanded environmental work into Poland


Cut off date reminder for those eligible for the spring COVID-19 booster


Broughton: Tim Hortons wants to open 24 hours a day but local residents aren’t happy


RSPCA campaign win as ‘dogs die in hot cars’ message to return to Wales’ roads


Three arrested following alleged fuel theft from a farm in Loggerheads


Former college apprentice and now Deeside politician returns to celebrate student success