Posted: Fri 23rd Nov 2018

‘Mass walkout’ held as almost 250 jobs to go at Vauxhall’s Ellesmere Port plant

News and Info from Deeside, Flintshire, North Wales
This article is old - Published: Friday, Nov 23rd, 2018

Description of your image

Vauxhall is planning a ‘restructuring’ at its Ellesmere Port plant. ‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​

It has been announced a a “phased reduction” of staff will take place, with 241 job losses. ‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​

The car firm says they are aiming for all redundancies to be voluntary. ‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​

In a statement the company said: “This restructuring is critical to ensure that the Ellesmere Port plant develops its competitiveness during this difficult time within the industry.” ‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​

This afternoon there are reports of a large number of staff at the factory staging a walk out after hearing the news. ‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​

Britain’s biggest trade union Unite said it was seeking urgent assurances over the future of the northwest England site, after previous job cuts announced earlier this year and in 2017, “Vauxhall’s Ellesmere Port workers have made huge sacrifices and worked hard to ensure the carmaker recently returned to profit for the first time in two decades. ‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​

“Further job losses will come as a sickening blow for them and their families in the run up to Christmas and will further heighten the anger over the uncertainty surrounding the future of the plant.” ‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​

More soon. ‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​


Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email: News@Deeside.com

Latest News

  • Nearly 100,000 prepayment energy meters forcibly installed last year, UK Government figures show
  • Estyn Inspection finds Connah’s Quay High School ‘In Need of Significant Improvement’
  • New fourth lane opens on smart motorway section of M56

  • More...

    Nearly 100,000 prepayment energy meters forcibly installed last year, UK Government figures show

    News

    Estyn Inspection finds Connah’s Quay High School ‘In Need of Significant Improvement’

    News

    New fourth lane opens on smart motorway section of M56

    News

    MP’s launch inquiry to examine state of the defence industry in Wales

    News

    Wales lost out on £155.5 million of public funding due to “poor account management” by Welsh Government

    News

    Possession of laughing gas to be criminal offence under anti-social behaviour crackdown

    News