Countess of Chester Hospital opens dedicated Coronavirus support centre as threat level rises
The Countess of Chester Hospital put in place a series of measures as the threat of Coronavirus increases across the UK.
The hospital has allocated a designated Countess Coronavirus Support Centre that is a 24/7 isolation area on site.
It means anyone showing symptoms associated with the virus will get a quick assessment, while other patients receive the appropriate care they need.
A hospital spokesperson said: “Following the recent Coronavirus outbreak in China we are putting in place a series of measures to mitigate any extra burden on our Emergency Departments and ensure the safety of all our patients and staff at the Trust.”
Any member of the public arriving at the hospital concerned that they may have symptoms consistent with Coronavirus is asked not to enter the Emergency Department or hospital buildings.
They will need to go directly to the Countess Coronavirus Support Centre based on-site at the Haygarth Building – Click here for map.
Countess of Chester Hospital Chief Executive, Dr Susan Gilby, said: “Following the decision by the UK Chief Medical Officer to raise the threat level for Coronavirus from low to moderate, we will be putting in place additional measures at the Countess of Chester Hospital.
The risk of infection in the UK remains low and the measures being taken are in line with Public Health England and NHS England guidance to ensure the safety of all patients and staff.
Along with all other NHS Trusts, we have been asked to organise a special area which will be called ‘The Countess Coronavirus Support Centre’ to allow any member of the public with symptoms consistent with the virus to be assessed without posing a risk to staff or patients.
The Centre will be open to patients from 5pm on Friday 7 February and will be accessed at the Haygarth Centre via Countess Way.
Please be reassured that day-to-day services throughout the hospital remain unaffected and we will continue to deliver high-quality healthcare services to the people of West Cheshire and Flintshire.”
Three patients in England have so far tested positive for Coronavirus.
In an update today the Chief Medical Officer for Wales, Dr. Frank Atherton said:
“The outbreak of coronavirus with an epicentre in Wuhan, Hubei province, China is evolving and following advice from experts, the UK Chief Medical Officers are now recommending that all travellers who develop flu-like symptoms however mild, (these symptoms could be a fever, a cough, or difficulty breathing) within 14 days of returning from mainland China, Thailand, Japan, Republic of Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia or Macau, should self-isolate at home immediately and call NHS Direct or NHS 111, if available in your area.
It is important to note that travellers from Wuhan and Hubei province should self-isolate for 14 days, even if they do not have symptoms, due to the increased risk from that area.
The public can help to lessen the chances of spreading any respiratory virus.
The advice is to catch it, bin it, kill it and wash your hands.
The Welsh Government are working with Public Health Wales to support the UK Government’s respiratory hygiene awareness raising campaign launched on 1 February.
At this point in time there are no cases in Wales but the Welsh Government and NHS Wales have robust arrangements in place to manage cases and protect the public.
All UK Chief Medical Officers are continuing to co-ordinate action in response to the developing situation.
The UK risk level remains at moderate.
We are keeping the risk assessment under constant review. I will keep you regularly informed of developments.” Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email: News@Deeside.com