Posted: Tue 27th Feb 2018

Updated: Wed 13th Feb

Airbus Beluga declared an emergency after smoke was reported in cockpit

News and Info from Deeside, Flintshire, North Wales
This article is old - Published: Tuesday, Feb 27th, 2018

An Airbus Beluga transport plane performed an “safety landing” yesterday after the crew reported smoke in the cockpit.

The aircraft with three crew onboard took off from Hawarden Airport at 10.10am on Monday en route to the Airbus site at Hamburg-Finkenwerder in Germany.

The seventeen year old transporter was descending north of Bremen when the flight crew declared an emergency due to the smoke problem.

Emergency services were put on standby at Hamburg-Finkenwerder Airport as the Beluga came into land around 15 minutes after the emergency was declared.

Flighpath: flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/f-gstf

The airport Fire Service escorted the Beluga off the runway to the airport apron and on inspection it was found that there had been a ‘cable fire’ on the flight deck, which had already extinguished.

According to a report by German news website The Hamburger Abendblatt around 50 firefighters from Hamburg were deployed “with two fire brigades, two command services, one environmental service, three volunteer fire departments, one area leader (FF) and two interchangeable vehicles with the roll-off containers Special Extinguishing Foam and Powder.”

In an update this morning a spokesperson from Airbus told Deeside.com;

“We confirm a “safety landing” of the Beluga (registration F-GSTF) at our Airbus airport Finkenwerder due to apparent smoke in the cockpit. The plane was on a flight from Chester (UK) to Hamburg-Finkenwerder. The plane landed safely and the crew are fine.”


Image: Beluga 5 landing at Hawarden in 2015 – Rob Davies YouTube



Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email: News@Deeside.com

LATEST NEWS...

Gardener to rich and famous reflects on student life in Flintshire after TV success

News

Covid self-isolation support payment increased to £750 to give ‘further reassurance to anyone who has been told to isolate’

News

Plans to extend a Flintshire caravan site have been unveiled in a bid to attract more holidaymakers

News

Welsh government accepts advice from JCVI to offer COVID-19 vaccination to those aged 16 and 17

News

Met Office yellow warning for heavy rain in Flintshire today

News

Wales’ Chief Medical Officer expects updated ‘advice’ today on jabs for 16 and 17 years olds

News

Booster vaccination plans detailed – as almost 85 per cent of eligible adults in North Wales get fully vaccinated

News

Police call on public for help locating ‘young teenage female’ reported to be ‘sleeping rough’ in Queensferry

News

Buckley town centre could be transformed under new regeneration plans

News