News and Info from Deeside, Flintshire, North Wales

Universal Credit; How to get ready for the changes

NOTE: This content is old - Published: Thursday, Aug 8th, 2013.

Even if you’re not likely to be affected straight away, there are things you can do now to make sure you’re prepared for Universal Credit.

[youtube id=”fx-i4v1T1s8″ width=”620″ height=”360″]


Changes to other benefits in 2013

  • There are some important changes to a number of other benefits happening in 2013.
  • Disability Living Allowance is being replaced by Personal Independence Payment from 2013 for people aged 16 to 64.
  • Council Tax Benefit was abolished in April 2013.Local councils in England (and the Scottish and Welsh governments in the devolved nations) are bringing in their own Council Tax Support Schemes to replace it.
  • A cap on the total amount of benefits that can be claimed is being introduced between April and September 2013
  • From April 2013, the under-occupation penalty (sometimes known as the ‘Bedroom Tax’) cuts the amount of Housing Benefit you can get if you are considered to have a spare bedroom in your council or housing association home. Community Care Grants and Crisis Loans were abolished in April 2013. Instead you can apply for help from your local authority in England. In Scotland you can apply for help from the Scottish Welfare Fund delivered through local authorities. And the Welsh Government is bringing in its own Discretionary Assistance Fund
  • .Budgeting Loans are being replaced by a new system of Budgeting Advances from April 2013 onwards, as people are moved onto Universal Credit.

Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email  
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});