News and Info from Deeside, Flintshire, North Wales

First of a possible 6 days of strike action hits Connah’s Quay High School today

NOTE: This content is old - Published: Thursday, May 24th, 2018.

Members of the NASUWT-The Teachers’ Union at Connah’s Quay High School are taking the first of six planned days of strike action today.

The move will see the majority of children given the day off today.

The school will be closed to year 7, 8, and 9 learners, but the school Head says it will remain open for all year 10 and 11 pupils.

NASUWT members say they are striking over ‘adverse management practices which are having a detrimental effect on the working conditions and welfare of members.’

Chris Keates, General Secretary of the NASUWT, said:

“The NASUWT is disappointed to have been forced into taking this action today, particularly after the first day of strike action had been withdrawn, following positive discussions with representatives of the school governing body and the Flintshire authority that led to the establishment of a joint consultative committee at school level.

“The NASUWT had expected the first meeting of that committee to have resulted in further progress being made, which would have negated the need for today’s action.

“Regrettably, this did not prove to be the case as the will to create a working environment based on mutual professional trust and respect where staff are treated with dignity was sadly lacking in some quarters.”

Rex Phillips, NASUWT National Official Wales, said:

“Our members responded positively to the progress that had been made between the NASUWT, the Governors and the Local Authority but have been stunned by the failure of the school management to recognise and acknowledge the problems that exist within the school.

Their hopes for an improvement in the working practices which are being visited on them have been dashed.

Command and control management has no place in our schools. Collegiality and cooperation must be the order of the day, if staff are to feel valued and that their professional opinions will be respected.

“The NASUWT remains willing to engage with the Employer to work towards this objective.”

A join letter published by Headteacher Anne Peers and Chair of Governors Colin Sinclair said:

“It is our intention to keep the school open for all learners in years 10 and 11 on that date. There will however be a closure for learners in years 7, 8, & 9.

We have not reached this decision lightly however, the key consideration is to ensure the safety, health and wellbeing of learners and staff.

We can reassure you that the Year 10 and 11 GCSE exams will go ahead without interruption on Thursday.

Additionally school catering facilities will operate as normal.”

Negotiations are set to continue with the NASUWT “with a view to resolving any outstanding issues,”

Claire Homard, Flintshire County Council Interim Director of Education and Youth said;

“The Local Authority has been kept fully informed about the industrial action at Connah’s Quay High School on 24 May.

The Chair of Governors and Head Teacher have taken the appropriate measures to keep the disruption for pupils to a minimum and to keep parents and carers informed.

“The school will be open to all pupils in years 10 and 11 but closed to pupils in years 7,8 and 9. There will be no disruption to pupils involved in external examinations.”

NASUWT confirmed on May 28 a further four dates: June, 12 and 28 Jun and July 11 and 17.

Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email News@Deeside.com  
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});