Posted: Thu 7th Apr 2022

Woman helped from Holywell property after microwavable ‘bean’ bag catches fire

News and Info from Deeside, Flintshire, North Wales
This article is old - Published: Thursday, Apr 7th, 2022

Firefighters have issued a warning after a microwaveable ‘bean’ bag caught fire at a house in Flintshire.

A woman was led from the house in Holywell by a local North Wales Fire Service watch manager after being called to the incident.

The bean bags – which usually contain buckwheat – can provide warmth, relief and comfort when used properly but, as with any product involving heat, there is a danger of fire and a risk of injury if care is not taken.

A spokesperson for North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said:

“Please make sure you always follow manufacturers’ instructions when using heated items such as this microwave bean bag and do not overheat.

“This photo (above) shows the aftermath of a fire in Holywell where our local Watch Manager had to lead the occupier out of her home.”

Top tips

  • If you want to use wheat bags, buy from a shop rather than making your own and make sure there are clear instructions.
  • Ensure that the wheat bag conforms to British Standards and always follow the manufacturer’s instructions with care.
  • Make sure that the wheat bag is not heated for too long, or at too high a temperature, and never leave unattended during the heating process.
  • Check that the microwave turntable is working properly and is not obstructed in any way. This will ensure that the bag is heated safely, without ‘hot spots’ being formed.
  • Don’t add oils to wheat bags as, over time, you will saturate the cover cloth and create an added fire risk.
  • Continual heating and drying of the wheat bag may overheat it to ignition point. When heating it in a microwave, add a cup or bowl of water on the turntable to reduce this risk.
  • Don’t use wheat bags or heat packs as bed warmers – only use for direct application to the body.
  • Don’t use if the bag shows any signs of over-use, e.g. discolouration, smell of burning or charring.
  • Leave bags to cool on a non-combustible surface, such as a draining board, and never reheat bags until they are completely cooled (which could be up to two hours).

Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email: [email protected]
Latest News

  • Flintshire company keeps Wembley and Wimbledon dry on its road to Net Zero
  • Severe funding cuts threaten Welsh general practice, says BMA Cymru
  • Five day junior doctors strike in England to impact Countess of Chester Hospital services

  • More...

    Flintshire company keeps Wembley and Wimbledon dry on its road to Net Zero

    News

    Severe funding cuts threaten Welsh general practice, says BMA Cymru

    News

    Five day junior doctors strike in England to impact Countess of Chester Hospital services

    News

    Powells Jewellery Ladies Day: Ella Henderson set for Chester Racecourse performance

    News

    Police renew appeal to find man wanted in connection with ‘multiple domestic offences’

    News

    Welsh Government teams up with OpenAI to enhance ChatGPT in Welsh

    News

    Senedd: ‘Overwhelming support’ for ban on politicians lying

    News

    Landmark Welsh democracy reforms including expanding Senedd to 96 MS’s, becomes law

    News

    Deestriders shine in races across UK

    News