Posted: Tue 22nd Oct 2013

Winning streak continues for Airbus FC as they beat TNS 2-1 in Word Cup Quarter Final

News and Info from Deeside, Flintshire, North Wales
This article is old - Published: Tuesday, Oct 22nd, 2013

The Wingmakers entered the Word Cup at the quarter-final stage this season and were drawn at home to familiar foes TNS. With both sides going for the title, both teams featured fringe players given an opportunity to show what they could do. With the advantage of being full-time, The New Saints were expected to have the edge.


As expected, both teams cancelled each other out early on but Airbus took a 1-0 lead on 13 minutes when Lewis Short dispossessed a Saints defender on the edge of the area. He cut the ball back for Glenn Rule to power in one of his trademark strikes from long-range to give goalkeeper Paul Harrison no chance.

Following the goal the visitors looked slightly jittery at the back and Airbus looked to exploit this by pressing them at every opportunity. On 28 minutes the Wingmakers doubled their lead when Tom Field curled a brilliant free-kick past Harrison from the edge of the area. The Wingmakers deserved their lead and looked to keep the pressure on.

Just past half an hour Jamie Mullan and Aeron Edwards had attempts blocked off – a reminder of the away side’s attacking threat. There was a long hold-up just before the break when TNS defender Connell Rawlinson was stretchered off with an ankle injury. He was replaced with Kai Edwards.

The Wingmakers made a half-time change with James Owen replacing Glenn Rule in midfield. Tom Field went close with a low shot just before the hour after Airbus weathered a spell of TNS pressure. Minutes later Harrison made a good low save from a testing Mike Roddy effort from outside the area.

On 65 minutes TNS full-back Chris Marriott cut-in from the left but his attempt was turned around the corner by the finger-tips of Airbus goalkeeper James Coates. With 20 minutes to go both teams made changes. Ryan Wade replaced Ritchie Partridge for Airbus while Alex Darlington came on in place of Chris Jones for TNS. Mike Wilde then struck a speculative effort over the bar.

An injury to Lee Owens in the last 10 minutes forced the Wingmakers into another change as they held TNS at bay. Ian Kearney entered the action in Owens’ place. Seconds later the Saints Aaron Simms struck the post and with Coates beaten Aeron Edwards knocked home the rebound to pull it back to 2-1.

The last throw of the dice for TNS with minutes to go saw youngster Ryan Kershaw replaced with Greg Draper. In the final minute Mike Wilde struck the post as TNS piled on the pressure in search of an equaliser to take the tie into extra-time.

Fortunately the equaliser never came as the Wingmakers extended their incredible unbeaten run and booked a place in the semi-final’s in the process. Just as pleasing was the psychological boost of having beaten opposition as strong as TNS.


Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email:

Public Notice Advert


Latest News

  • Health Minister ‘hopeful 8am bottleneck’ for accessing GPs ‘has gone’ – as new local recruitment highlighted
  • Police: A494 in Alltami closed following ‘traffic incident’
  • Letby appeal bid set to be heard in April

  • More...

    Health Minister ‘hopeful 8am bottleneck’ for accessing GPs ‘has gone’ – as new local recruitment highlighted


    Police: A494 in Alltami closed following ‘traffic incident’


    Letby appeal bid set to be heard in April


    Deeside-based international clothing distributor poised for huge growth after bank backing


    Transport Secretary Mark Harper hosts talks on £1bn North Wales Rail upgrade


    Ofgem: Energy bills to fall by around 12% as new price cap is announced


    Welsh Parliament narrowly rejects call for Wales-specific Covid-19 inquiry


    Hawarden: Belzona strengthens UK presence with new £3m state-of-the-art facility


    Mold: MS praises ‘inspirational’ social enterprise “empowering” the community