Posted: Thu 2nd Mar 2017

Firefighters issue yet another warning over use of chip pans after father and son rescued in Buckley house blaze

News and Info from Deeside, Flintshire, North Wales
This article is old - Published: Thursday, Mar 2nd, 2017

A father and son have been rescued by firefighters from a house fire in Buckley in the early hours of this morning, Thursday 2 March.

Two fires appliances from Deeside and Buckley were called to the incident at Lyme Grove, Buckley at 12.25am after a neighbour heard a smoke alarm sounding at the property.

Firefighters using four sets of breathing apparatus wearing breathing apparatus rescued a 24-year-old man and a four-year-old boy from the property.

They received treatment for smoke inhalation at the scene, the damage was confined to the kitchen say the fire service.

A Welsh Ambulance Service spokesman said:

We were called at about 12.40am by our fire service colleagues to reports of a fire at an address on Lyme Grove, Buckley.

We sent a paramedic in a rapid response vehicle and two patients were checked over at the scene, but did not require hospital treatment.

The fire service once again issued a warning about the use of old style chip pans and highlighted the need for every house to have a working smoke alarm.

Jami Jennings from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said:

Thankfully, this property had a working smoke alarm which was heard by a neighbour who alerted us to attend. When we arrived, the kitchen was heavily smoke logged and we were able to enter the property to rescue the father and son and confine the fire to the kitchen area.

The father had fallen asleep whilst watching TV and had left the chip pan heating – without the warning from the smoke alarm and a vigilant neighbour this could easily have developed into a very serious incident with severe consequences.

Leaving a chip pan unattended for any length of time can have disastrous results as the oil can easily overheat and ignite – it only takes a few minutes for a small fire to develop into one that is serious and life threatening. And if you’re asleep when a fire breaks out, you’re in serious trouble – just a couple of breaths of smoke can be enough to knock you completely unconscious.

As we have seen time and time again – there is no room for complacency so we urge people to throw away your old style chip pan altogether and use a thermostatically controlled deep fat fryer. Oven chips are also safer as well as being healthier. Never leave your cooking unattended and always avoid cooking after drinking alcohol.”

As this incident shows – having a working smoke alarm means you are far more likely to to escape unharmed in the event of a fire. So make sure you test your alarm regularly. In the event of a fire get out, stay out and call 999

The incident yet again highlights the real danger of leaving cooking unattended.

This mornings fire was caused by a chip pan and comes just days after another chip pan fire in Wrexham last week.

A campaign launched by the fire and rescue service urging people to throw away chip pans during National Chip Week.

 

Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email: [email protected]
Latest News

  • Meet the Deeside fighter who went from shy, overweight kid to pro heavyweight
  • Connah’s Quay’s Royal composer Paul Mealor joins elite club after receiving rare award from King
  • Queensferry Sports transformed by regeneration grant

  • More...

    Meet the Deeside fighter who went from shy, overweight kid to pro heavyweight

    News

    Connah’s Quay’s Royal composer Paul Mealor joins elite club after receiving rare award from King

    News

    Queensferry Sports transformed by regeneration grant

    News

    Failing to make changes to black bin collections – not an option, says Flintshire Council

    News

    Flintshire sports clubs get set for summer with funding from Police and Crime Commissioner

    News

    Lush Broughton celebrate 1st birthday with free product making and competitions

    News

    Thousands of Flintshire families to receive summer financial aid for food bills

    News

    Number of patients waiting for NHS treatment reaches record high in Wales

    News

    Police issue warning over scam targeting North Wales petrol stations

    News