Posted: Thu 22nd Oct 2020

North Wales Police braced for influx of caravans along A55 on Friday as visitors try to beat fire-break lockdown

News and Info from Deeside, Flintshire, North Wales
This article is old - Published: Thursday, Oct 22nd, 2020

North Wales police is gearing up for caravans “flying across” A55 routes on Friday as visitors try to beat the start of the Wales fire-break lockdown.

From 6pm on October 23 the country will return to a spring-style lockdown lasting until Monday, November 9, to deliver a ‘short sharp shock’ to coronavirus.

Non-essential shops, bars, restaurants and leisure centres will shut, with people encouraged to work from home where possible and avoid non- essential travel.

But Chief Inspector Jeff Moses of North Wales Police told Conwy council’s economy and place scrutiny committee today (Wednesday) officers were expecting to see a lot of caravans on the A55 as people try to beat the new restrictions and come into Wales.

He was responding to a question from Llanrwst councillor Aaron Wynne, who asked what people should do if they’re aware of visitors coming into the area during the enforced lock down.

The Chief Inspector said: “We had a meeting of the tactical coordination group this afternoon and we are aware, and quite expecting to see, caravans flying across the A55 on Friday afternoon.

“So there will be some measures to counter this. Sadly I am sure there will be lots of of people trying to come to Wales.

“There’s lots of work going on in the background as I am sure you’re aware.

“I probably won’t go into all the detail here, but I do have a brief update on what we are doing, locally and in relation to the Covid operations, but I will save that for the appropriate time.”

North Wales police and crime commissioner Arfon Jones, who earlier gave a presentation to the committee, said he would advise people to contact the police via its online portal in the first instance if they spotted people flouting the rules.

First Minister Mark Drakeford had already introduced a series of measures on October 16 preventing people from high risk areas of England, Scotland and Northern Ireland from entering Wales.

He said patrols along the main routes into North Wales and number plate checks would be used to stop people who shouldn’t be travelling into the country.

The action came after a plea to UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson to restrict travel into Wales from areas of high coronavirus transmission elsewhere in the UK, fell on deaf ears.

By Jez Hemming – Local Democracy Reporter

Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email: [email protected]
Latest News

  • Afterglow: Enjoy Chester Zoo at sunset and for half price
  • Gladstone’s Library welcomes prestigious diamond dagger award to its archives
  • Senedd rejects calls to place all new power lines underground

  • More...

    Afterglow: Enjoy Chester Zoo at sunset and for half price

    News

    Gladstone’s Library welcomes prestigious diamond dagger award to its archives

    News

    Senedd rejects calls to place all new power lines underground

    News

    Call for local residents to help shape Rivertown Church’s ambitious plans for new community hub

    News

    Let’s Eat Cake fundraiser raises over £10,000 for children’s hospice

    News

    RoSPA: One in three UK homes lacks essential carbon monoxide alarms

    News

    E. Coli: 27 cases confirmed in Wales with outbreak linked to salad leaves in some supermarket sandwiches

    News

    Flintshire trailer theft suspects arrested in Lancashire

    News

    Joint police operation nets three drug arrests in Shotton

    News