Posted: Sat 7th Sep 2013

Updated: Wed 13th Feb

Wingmakers put 6 past Newtown AFC as the record run continues.

News and Info from Deeside, Flintshire, North Wales
This article is old - Published: Saturday, Sep 7th, 2013

Airbus UK 6  Newtown AFC 1

The Wingmakers were looking to carry on their club record-breaking winning start to the season with the visit of Newtown. A win would also cement their place at the top of the table by keeping distance between themselves and the early chasing pack.

Team Sheet

Team Sheet

There was an early opportunity within the opening minutes as Mike Roddy drove a shot from the edge of the area – striking the inside of a post and finding its way into the arms of Newtown goalkeeper Arron Warwick. At the other end a few minutes later Zach Evans’ tame effort for Newtown was well-held by James Coates in the Airbus goal.

On quarter of an hour Ryan Wade lifted a shot over the bar from a Chris Simm knock-down, with the Wingmakers beginning to shade possession. The breakthrough came on 23 minutes when the ball dropped in the area for Steve Jones to crash home an unstoppable half-volley, putting Airbus into a 1-0 lead. Newtown tried to respond immediately with Craig Williams dragging a shot wide of the near-post, then Sean Evans chipping over from long-range.

Chris Simm headed over the bar following a corner on 34 minutes with the Wingmakers generally comfortable with their lead. Minutes later Zach Evans was booked for dissent despite Newtown having been awarded a free-kick. Airbus full-back Lee Owens was also booked for the same offence just before half-time. From the resulting free-kick Sean Evans headed over without troubling Coates.

It remained 1-0 to Airbus at the break – a fair reflection of the first-half. The Wingmakers used the interval to replace Ryan Wade with Ritchie Partridge. Shortly after the resumption Mike Roddy fired off-target as Airbus looked to resume control of the game. On 48 minutes they doubled their lead, when Lewis Short passed inside for Mike Roddy to drill a long-range low shot into the far corner of the net, making it 2-0 to Airbus.


Airbus team celebrate after the 2nd goal.


 A minute later it was 3-0 to Airbus when Chris Budrys spread play to Steve Jones, who curled a superb accurate shot into the top corner from outside the area. It was the Northern Ireland international’s second of the game. There was another substitution for Airbus a few minutes later when Tom Field made his first appearance of the season in place of Mike Roddy.

On 55 minutes a curling shot from Matthew Hearsey forced a low save from Coates. However it was soon 4-0 to Airbus a couple of minutes later, Glenn Rule crossing along the face of goal for Chris Budrys to tap home at the far post – from just yards out. The Wingmakers then made their final change with Sam Hart replacing Lee Owens. Shortly after, Warwick made a good save with his feet from Mike Pearson.

The visitors made their first changes when replacing Ian Edmunds with Max Penk, then moments later Callum Wright for Craig Williams. The changes worked as a deep ball into the Airbus penalty area was stabbed home by Newtown’s Luke Boundford on 75 minutes to pull the score back to 4-1.

Seconds later however, a brilliant low drive into the far corner from Tom Field on the edge of the area restored the Wingmakers four-goal lead, and made it 5-1. By now the Wingmakers were playing close to total football, with the likes of Mike Pearson and Sam Hart pushing forward from the back as part of strong passing moves, and trying their luck with shots at goal.


Record start for Morrison and his men, 4 wins out of 4

In the final minutes Glenn Rule made it 6-1 to Airbus with another good strike just inside Warrick’s right-hand post. The goalkeeper got a hand to it but couldn’t keep it out. Newtown’s Max Penk picked up a booking in stoppage-time before the referee called time on what had been another dominant Airbus victory. The win leaves the Wingmakers flying at the top of the table and on this evidence, deservedly so.


Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email:


Deer spotted running through Shotton this morning


Flintshire school children to compete for a trip of a lifetime to Las Vegas at NFL Flag National Championship


Free swimming in Wales for the Armed Forces to continue


Mold based P&A Group expanded environmental work into Poland


Cut off date reminder for those eligible for the spring COVID-19 booster


Broughton: Tim Hortons wants to open 24 hours a day but local residents aren’t happy


RSPCA campaign win as ‘dogs die in hot cars’ message to return to Wales’ roads


Three arrested following alleged fuel theft from a farm in Loggerheads


Former college apprentice and now Deeside politician returns to celebrate student success