Posted: Fri 31st Jan 2020

Plans for seven-bedroom HMO in Broughton backed for approval despite widespread opposition

News and Info from Deeside, Flintshire, North Wales
This article is old - Published: Friday, Jan 31st, 2020

Plans to turn a family home into a seven-bedroom House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) have been backed for approval despite widespread opposition.

About 50 objections have been submitted against proposals to convert the current three-bedroom property on Larne Drive in Broughton.

It comes amid concerns from residents that it would have a negative impact on the neighbourhood and lead to parking problems.

Broughton Community Council and local councillor Billy Mullin have also voiced strong criticism.

However, the application has been recommended to receive the green light by Flintshire Council’s chief planning officer.

In a report set to go before councillors next week, Andrew Farrow said the scheme was acceptable because it was in a residential area.

He said: “The dwelling is located within a row of similar properties upon a modern residential estate.

“Given the above, it is considered that the built nature of the proposal will not have a significant detrimental impact upon the character and appearance of the existing dwelling or streetscene in which it is located.

“There is a concern that the increased residential use of the HMO, would leave to an increase in the parking requirements above what would reasonably expected of a private dwelling.

“The proposed parking provision submitted shows the front of the property will accommodate three cars clear of the highway.

“A condition is imposed to ensure that the parking provision is provided and maintained on site, in perpetuity.”

It’s not the first time plans for a HMO in Broughton have caused controversy.

In December 2018, proposals to create bedsits on Gladstone Road were approved on appeal, despite originally being refused by the local authority following a protest by neighbours.

Worries have been raised that the latest scheme could lead to a rise in anti-social behaviour, but Mr Farrow said such claims had not been proven.

He said: “Concerns have been expressed that the proposals would cause noise/disturbance with the extensions also adversely affecting light and privacy upon existing neighbouring occupiers.
“Some of these concerns and fears relate to the future occupants of the development.

“Concerns that tenants could cause these problems are not unique to HMOs and there is no evidence to substantiate this is the case.

“Anti-social behaviour could equally apply to other forms of residential occupation.

“It is considered that all of the matters in the consideration of this proposal are acceptable and that planning permission should be granted.”

Proposals to extend the property to provide extra accommodation were approved in October last year.

The most recent application will be discussed at a meeting of the council’s planning committee at County Hall in Mold on Wednesday.

By Liam Randall – Local Democracy Reporter (more here).



Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email: News@Deeside.com

LATEST NEWS...

Covid-19 surge testing begins in two areas of Chester including one bordering Flintshire

News

Police slam ‘stupid behaviour’ as car passengers caught leaning out of window to capture Snapchat pictures

Gwynedd

Rising Covid cases ‘concerning’ and driven by younger age groups socialising says Flintshire council chief executive

News

Fundraisers take to the fairway to raise vital funds for the NSPCC’s Childhood Day

News

Wales’ First Minister reiterates “minimise travel in and out of” Chester and Cheshire West advice

News

Levelling Up Fund – £30 million bid to accelerate three rail schemes in Flintshire

News

Head of Flintshire school apology after Track and Trace service tells parents of all year 8 children to self isolate

News

Training thoroughbred horses and driving dump trucks – ex Northop student on epic NZ adventure

News

Rule changes “on hold for four weeks” as delta spreads – second doses to be sped up

News