Posted: Tue 16th Aug 2016

Fire which claimed two lives in North Wales this morning could have been prevented if fire alarm had been fitted

News and Info from Deeside, Flintshire, North Wales
This article is old - Published: Tuesday, Aug 16th, 2016

A Senior Fire Safety Officer is appealing to residents to ensure their electrics are in good working order and that they have working smoke alarms fitted following a fire in Deganwy this morning where two people died.

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service was called to a report of a fire at a property in Gannock Park West, Deganwy at 7.42am this morning.

Crews from Llandudno and Colwyn Bay were mobilised to the incident and used four sets of breathing apparatus and two hose reel jets to tackle the fire.

Sadly a man and woman died in the incident. Another woman made her own way out of the property before the arrival of the firefighters.

A joint investigation by North Wales Fire and Rescue Service and North Wales Police has been conducted, and the cause of the fire is thought to be electrical.

The fire caused severe fire damage to the room of origin and significant smoke damage to the remainder of the first floor with water damage on the ground floor.

Stuart Millington, Senior Fire Safety Manager, said: “Our thoughts and sympathies are with the family and friends of those who have passed away.

“This fire highlights the danger of electrical fires and their potentially tragic consequences – they can strike anytime, anywhere.

“It is important to be as prepared as possible in the event of fire, by ensuring that working smoke alarms are fitted in your home. Sadly, the occupants of this property did not have smoke alarms fitted – and they could have saved their lives.

“It is also important that you have clear escape routes to enable you and your family to exit your home as quickly as possible.

We would also appeal to residents to ensure that areas housing electrical items such as fuse boxes are kept clear of rubbish, papers or other combustible materials which could aid fire spread.

“In addition, there are some simple steps you can take to help prevent an electrical fire in your home.

They include:

  • DON’T overload plug sockets
  • DO Regularly check for worn or frayed wires
  • DO Unplug appliances when not in use
  • DO Keep appliances clean and in good working order
  • DO consider using a Residual Current Device, which protects against electric shocks and reduces the risk of electrical fires.
  • IF you have any concerns about your electrical installation please make contact with a qualified electrician to check the system.

“Also try the ‘ampage’ calculator on the NWFRS website – www.nwales-fireservice.org.uk It tells you if you are overloading your sockets and helps you to stay electrically safe.”

Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email: [email protected]
Latest News

  • Failing to make changes to black bin collections – not an option, says Flintshire Council
  • Flintshire sports clubs get set for summer with funding from Police and Crime Commissioner
  • Lush Broughton celebrate 1st birthday with free product making and competitions

  • More...

    Failing to make changes to black bin collections – not an option, says Flintshire Council

    News

    Flintshire sports clubs get set for summer with funding from Police and Crime Commissioner

    News

    Lush Broughton celebrate 1st birthday with free product making and competitions

    News

    Thousands of Flintshire families to receive summer financial aid for food bills

    News

    Number of patients waiting for NHS treatment reaches record high in Wales

    News

    Police issue warning over scam targeting North Wales petrol stations

    News

    Traffic Wales warns of abnormal load travelling on A55 through Flintshire

    News

    Police release CCTV image following serious assault in Chester

    News

    Flintshire Council faces £38m budget shortfall amid ‘insufficient’ government support

    News