Posted: Thu 6th Feb 2020

Updated: Thu 6th Feb

Plans for seven-bedroom HMO in Broughton rejected following widespread opposition

News and Info from Deeside, Flintshire, North Wales
This article is old - Published: Thursday, Feb 6th, 2020

Plans to turn a family home into a seven-bedroom House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) have been rejected following widespread opposition.

About 50 objections were submitted against proposals to convert the current three-bedroom property on Larne Drive in Broughton.

Residents voiced concerns the property would have a negative impact on the neighbourhood and lead to parking problems.

The proposals had been recommended for approval by Flintshire Council officers at a planning committee meeting held in Mold yesterday.

In a report which went before councillors at the meeting, Andrew Farrow said the scheme was acceptable because it was in a residential area.

He said: “The dwelling is located within a row of similar properties upon a modern residential estate.

Given the above, it is considered that the built nature of the proposal will not have a significant detrimental impact upon the character and appearance of the existing dwelling or streetscene in which it is located.

There is a concern that the increased residential use of the HMO, would leave to an increase in the parking requirements above what would reasonably expected of a private dwelling.

The proposed parking provision submitted shows the front of the property will accommodate three cars clear of the highway.

A condition is imposed to ensure that the parking provision is provided and maintained on site, in perpetuity.”

Speaking on behalf of those residents who opposed the plans, Libby Jones said: “We are not against HMOs and recognise their place in the appropriate communities.

We believe that our already strong cohesive neighbourhood in Larne Drive will be shattered by this over development of a three bed semi into a large seven bedroom HMO.

We agree providing the appropriate housing is a challenge for all counties within Wales.

However,a seven bed large HMO in this small cul de sac is disproportionate to the rest of the homes and the street.”

Broughton Community Council and local councillor Billy Mullin said: 

“Planning [with regards to HMO’s] is non-existant, we need some proper policy from Cardiff… we need to make a stand.

It’s as simple as that, we can’t be putting up with HMOs of this size, just being thrown up, it is not in  keeping with the cul de sac it is on.”

Despite the refusal of the plans, councillors on the planning committee expect the application will be appealed and be back before them in a matter of weeks.

Cllr Kevin Hughes who represents Gwernymynydd said he disapproved of the application but, “I’m really struggling to vote for refusal, the reason being is that we had a very similar application, [for an HMO] at Gladstone Road in Broughton.

I seconded the proposal to refuse the application, it went to appeal and the developer won his appeal.

Common sense tells us it is almost identical, they will win an appeal, and there will be financial implications for this county…”

I don’t half feel for the residents, I think it’s absolutely dreadful and I wouldn’t want it in my road.”

Mold East Cllr, Chris Bithell said there was nothing in planning legislation to actually prevent such applications coming forward. “This is an application for an HMO which is a residential use, and it’s a residential area and in that sense, it has to be treated as such.”

The plans were ultimately rejected with twelve councillors voting against giving permission and four in favour.

 

 



Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email: News@Deeside.com

LATEST NEWS...

This Connah’s Quay dad is making hundreds of 3D printed visors but could make 500 more a day with some financial backing

News

Health Minister: Some progress being made as a result of the lockdown measures but ‘zero chance’ they will lifted

News

First Minister and Wales’ emergency services call on people of Wales to stay home to save lives this Easter

News

Emergency fund for sport set up by Welsh Government and Sport Wales

News

Soldiers drafted in to drive ambulances in Wales to help fight against coronavirus

News

Minister admits Welsh councils could face financial problems due to coronavirus as government prepares to help

News